Friday, April 24, 2015

g(Math) Handwriting recognition funding options wanted!

I created the post below about a week ago, but the API that does the Handwriting recognition costs money. I have currently been "bootstrapping" (I learned that in my reading about start-up funding :) g(Math) and I am closing in on a 4 digit deficit. Granted some of that are yearly sunk costs that are good for another 6 months, but I don't have the funds to support this API.
I have always wanted g(Math) to be free. As a teacher, I don't want to charge other teachers to use my app. We already bootstrap our classes enough.
However, I think this is the ideal feature for g(Math) and the game-changing tool that is needed for math in the Google Apps for Education ecosystem. (However, I am super pumped about the alternative of only inserting the handwriting entry which is free).

So I am reaching out to you guys, my PLN, for suggestions for funding. Any creative ideas to fund g(Math)?!


*****Handwriting Recognition Blog Post*********
g(Math) now has Handwriting recognition (beta version) as a way to enter math expressions!



So this weekend was awesome and showed me the power of a PLN. +Chris Webb sent me a Tweet about a way he was getting the TeX to enter into g(Math):
This triggered a flurry of tweets between +Chris Webb+Emily Fitzpatrick, and @FabianRic from myScript with the end result being the addition of Handwriting recognition for math entry in g(Math) for Docs and g(Math) for Form Responses. It is still in Beta mode, but pretty much fully functioning. Have fun testing it out and please let me know what you think!